The Gumbo Room Blues Jam
The Governor Hindmarsh and Adelaide Roots & Blues Association (ARBA) are proud to present the weekly “Gumbo Room” Blues Jam with weekly feature band at the front bar of The Governor Hindmarsh Hotel every Thursday from 8.30pm onward.
Gumbo Room Facebook
Thursday, November 8
A one-off special event! The Streamliners, as part of The "Gumbo Room" Blues Jam night, are offering a free download of a new song that will not be included on their forthcoming new album plus a further special offer of a 6CD COMPLETE COLLECTION BOX SET GIVE AWAY (with 3 cd's now out of print) as listed below with the purchase of a ticket:-
$10 TICKET = Entry + free new song download
$20 TICKET = Entry + free new song download + 6CD BOX SET GIVE AWAY (3 are out of print), raffled on the night at 9.45PM
Pre-sale online tix here... https://www.trybooking.com/ZHFB (PLEASE NOTE : There are only 60 limited tickets with this one time special offer so be quick) or if tickets are still available, can be purchased at the door.
Doors @ 7.45pm, Band on @ 8.30 till 9.30pm and Jams start at 10pm. NOTE: JAMMERS HAVE FREE ENTRY WITH INSTRUMENT. See you all there for a fab time and a plate of Gumbo stew all in the front bar of The Gov!
The Gumbo Room Drum Kit restoration / resurrection by Mario Marino
Vintage Tama Royalstar Early to Mid 80's.
On the 17/9/16 Dennis Kripidis dropped off a drum kit which has been owned by The Governor Hindmarsh Hotel since the late 80's, early 90's. It was well used, retired and stored at a hotel loft for some time.
I can honestly say it was in the worst condition I've ever seen a drum kit in and I was contemplating my next move, knowing I had quite a challenge ahead of me. Because of the history of the drums at the hotel I understood why this was the first option so I tackled the task head on.
Firstly I dismantled every little nut, bolt, screw, washer, rim etc.... every piece of hardware went through multiple stages of of cleaning, polishing and rust removal.
The wrap was beyond repair so it was decided to rewrap the drum shells with a green sparkle wrap. The old wrap was removed. The wood shells were prepared for the rewrap. Extra holes were filled with plugs made from a donor shell and glued with a strong epoxy resin. Damaged bearing edge was repaired with epoxy glue mixed with wood particles from the same drums. The edges were trued straight and cleaned up. The interior of the shells were sprayed with a paint to match the original Zola coat used by Tama in the eighties on these drums.
Original lugs, rods, brackets and rims were sourced replacing the old or missing ones.
The shells were wrapped and all the hardware was put back on. Pre-used skins were fitted and drums were tuned ready to play.
All period correct stands, pedals and hardware were sourced and Cymbals added.
This Delightful kit is now available to players at the Gumbo Room Jam.
For those drummers in the host band, just bring along your Cymbals, seat and kick pedal, (and snare if you wish)
The Governor Hindmarsh Hotel
59 Port Rd.
Jam Night Guide
- The ARBA Thursday Night Gumbo Room Blues Jam provides a meeting point for Blues musicians. It is a source of entertainment for members of ARBA and lovers of Blues music and it is a showcase for emerging and established talents in the Blues scene.
- The order placed on the board is not necessarily the order of who will play first.
- Each combination will do a 3-4 song set of no more than 15 minutes. A five minute changeover is expected
- We provide a drum kit, bass amp, guitar amp and vocal PA. Musicians are expected to provide their own Harp amps, drum sticks and any equipment not supplied by the Gumbo Room.
- The purpose of the Gumbo Blues Jam is to bring enjoyment to jammers and audience alike and to promote the role of the Adelaide Roots and Blues association.
- The Jam Coordinator has the last say regarding sets and has the right to refuse musicians who are under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- The Jam Night has a Jam Coordinator/Stage Manager and Sound Engineer. The Jam Coordinator is responsible for forming combos from the jammers who have nominated.
- The Jam Coordinator has the right to ask musicians to turn down the volume
- Musicians need to recognise and support the contributions of other musicians.
- To be guaranteed a spot on the night a musician needs to have their name on the Jam board by 9.15 pm. Late arrivals cannot be guaranteed a spot but the Jam Coordinator will attempt to give everybody an opportunity to jam.
- Courteous and thoughtful behaviour should be shown at all times.
- Musicians must take care of Gumbo Room equipment. Failure to do so may result in participation in the Jam being restricted and/or paying for damages.
- Players are expected to be familiar with standard Blues songs and prepared to play when their turn arrives.
- The Jam Coordinator determines the order, encouraging discussion and negotiation with all jammers present to provide fair opportunity, maximum inclusion and, where possible, a varied mix.
- Blues music should be the only music played. We are a Blues association.
- It is expected that jammers will perform at a standard that complements fellow jammers.