2017 RAY winner announced
*Congratulations Kaurna Cronin*
ARBA Roots Album of the Year
Towards recognition and promotion of recordings by South Australian musicians, since 2015, ARBA has conducted an annual contest for recently released roots albums.
Below, see information on the current Roots album contest and underneath, brief summations on previous awards and via the Archive buttons, details of prior competitions.
2017 ARBA Roots Album of the Year
Adelaide Roots and Blues Association has conducted its third competition for roots-styled albums recorded by South Australian musicians. Representatives of acts that released albums in the nine months up to 30th June 2017 were invited to nominate related albums by the closing deadline of 7th August.
The three album Finalists were announced in October at the British Workingmen’s Club on Saturday, 14th October
On November 24th at the Noarlunga Arts Centre The trophy for ARBA Roots Album Of The Year was presented to Kaurna Cronin for the album, Euphoria, Delirium & Loneliness.
Congratulations on your deserved win.
Album Finalists (Posted 16 Oct 2017)
At the ARBA Members Muster event at the British Workingmen’s Club, Wingfield on Saturday, 14th October, in alphabetical order of titles, the top three albums as scored by the five judges were announced as:
- EUPHORIA, DELIRIUM & LONELINESS (Kaurna Cronin)
- SHARE THE LOVE (Eight Various Purely SA Acts)
- THE HEGGARTIES (the Heggarties)
Thanks to the judging panel, commendations to all entering acts and congratulations to those associated with the Finalist albums.
Announcement Of Winner
Along with presentation of other awards, the ARBA Roots Album Of The Year will be declared and a special trophy passed to the related recording act at a designated ARBA event at the Pt. Noarlunga Arts Centre on Friday, 24th November, the first evening of the Pt. Noarlunga Deep South Festival ... see http://pnslsc.com.au/functions_centre/blues/
2017 Entries Received
Click on a cover thumbnail for a direct link to the recording act's website or Facebook page
2017 Contest Information (Posted 12 July)
- Albums are to have been released in purchasable hard CD and/or digital form in the period of 1st October 2016 to 30th June 2017.
- An album may be credited to a solo performer, duo or group or be an assembly of tracks by a number of artists.
- If applicable, recording acts may submit entries for multiple related albums.
- An album may not be a compilation of previously released material.
- At least half of the credited principal performers are to have been resident in SA for a greater part of the eligibility period.
- The release must contain a minimum of 6 tracks and/or or be at least 25 minutes in total duration.
- The majority of audio content is to be of a style within the broadly-accepted genre of roots music.
A release may be entered into only one of ARBA's Blues or Roots album competitions and may not have been nor be submitted
to an album contest conducted by a local blues-roots organisation of another Australian state, territory or place.
Roots can be defined as containing elements of certain styles of music but it stands apart from their 'pure' forms.
That is, the genre can include a range of those styles, but cannot hold a focus on any one of them.
- A copy of the official entry form is to be completed by a member or agent of the recording act(s) and passed over or forwarded by email or post to reach the appointed contest coordinator by the closing date of Monday, 7th August.
A copy of the entry form can be gained from the coordinator or downloaded and printed via the link below
See phone-email-address details for the contest coordinator and additional phone contacts at the top of the entry form
- Six (6) hard copies of the album are also to reach the contest coordinator by the above deadline.
The copies will be retained by ARBA and after judging processes, be utilised for ARBA fund-raising purposes or donated to a charitable cause.
- Six burned disc copies of any digital-only releases are to be provided along with printed copies of the related artwork.
Completed entries and CD copies can be handed over at ARBA's International Blues Music Day event at the SWC on Friday, 4th August
These items might also be passed to ARBA committee representatives at prior Thursday night Gumbo Room jams
- The entered albums will be assessed by a panel of judges appointed by the ARBA committee (to be shown at this webpage).
- Via a prescribed scoring process, the judges will have regard for the following criteria (listed in order of importance):
Roots Content, Vocal and Instrumental Performance, Originality, Audio Quality, Artwork/Design, Credits/Information
Barry Maxwell (Vic)
Host of ‘Blues On The Hill’ radio program, judge at 2016 IBC and 2017 MBC
David Stoeckel (SA)
Editor of SA Roots & Blues website, podcast producer, MBC judge 2015-17
Geoff Pegler (NSW)
Host of nationally-syndicated ‘Blues Beat’ program, Chain Award judge
Peter Gelling (ACT)
ARIA-nominated blues etc musician, composer and author
Robert Dillon (Vic)
Dreamboogie drummer and manager, recording engineer, MBC judge 2017
Contest Coordinator: Jeff Parham
Roots Album of the Year 2016
ARBA’s second annual award for Roots albums was for releases in the year to 30th September 2016 and realised nine entries.
At an ARBA ‘Roots Special’ at The Gov’s Gumbo Room on 10th November, the winning album was announced as ‘OFF THE CUFF’,
recorded by Chris Finnen and Jay Hoad.
SA Roots Album Of 2014 -15
In 2015, ARBA took over the conduct of competitions for Blues and Roots albums recorded by SA musicians.
Nine entries were received for the first Roots album contest, being for releases in the catch-up period of two years to 30th September 2015.
After judges’ evaluations, the then-titled award of SA Roots Album Of 2014-15 went to SMALL DREAMS recorded by Kelly Menhennett.